Bono Christelijk?

olfie

Bono Christelijk?

Bericht door olfie »

Ik weet niet of ik nu oud nieuws aansnij, maar ik weet dat een veelopgevatte mening is, dat Bono Christelijk is, en dat U2 vrij geaccepteerd is in gospel en evangelische kringen.

Maar ik kwam gister een interessant stuk tegen:

U2 Coexist
Getuigeverslag

Ik citeer het kernpunt van de tweede link:

[quote]Bono stopped the show and strapped on a headband with writing on it. I stared up at the JumboTron to see that the handwritten lettering said: COEXIST.

Coexisting sounds like a great idea. I fully support the peaceful philanthropy that Bono has encouraged, and this seemed like another way that he was trying to spread the message.

Except, it started to feel like more than a political message. The “C” in “coexist” was the Islamic crescent moon, the “X” was the Star of David, and the “T” was the cross of Christ. Bono pointed at the symbols on his headband—first to the cross, then to the star, then to the crescent moon—and he began to repeat:

“Jesus, Jew, Mohammed—all true. Jesus, Jew, Mohammed—all true.”

He repeated the words like a mantra, and some people even began to repeat it with him. I suddenly wanted to crawl out of my skin. Was Bono, my supposed brother in Christ, preaching some kind of universalism?[/qoute]

Verslaat Bono zijn duizenden op deze wijze?
Zogenaamd een goed christen, vol 'goede daden'...
Zijn Naam moet eeuwig eer ontvangen
memento

Bericht door memento »

Ik heb veel respect voor Bono als promotor van liefdadigheid. Hij zet zich enorm in voor 3e wereldlanden etc. Dit valt me erg van m tegen.

Laten we voor hem bidden!
olfie

Bericht door olfie »

memento schreef:Ik heb veel respect voor Bono als promotor van liefdadigheid. Hij zet zich enorm in voor 3e wereldlanden etc. Dit valt me erg van m tegen.

Geeft (helaas) wel de ware aard van het beessie... en hoevelen sleept hij met zich mee?
parsifal

Bericht door parsifal »

Ik denk dat het wel meevalt met hoeveel mensen U2 meesleept. Mensen luisteren niet naar Bono alsof hij theologie uitlegt. Al nemen mensen wel veel aan van iemand die ze heel hoog hebben staan (en daar hoort Bono bij).

Wat me meer zorgen baart zijn de citaten.
“Jesus, Jew, Mohammed—all true. Jesus, Jew, Mohammed—all true.”
hier staat een . die ik in nog geen enkele versie van de verslagen heb gezien. Telkens was het : "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed—all true sons of Abraham" (Wat biologisch gezien correct is, maar theologisch fout) of "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed— true, all sons of Abraham" wat ik in het kader van wereldvrede een correcte uitspraak vind.

Mijn over Bono is vooral dat hij misschien mijn broeder in de Heere niet is, dat zullen we later zien, maar dat hij mij en mijn broeders in de Heere wel vreselijk op ons nummer zet door zich in te zetten voor de verdrukten in de wereld, waar wij dat vaak nalaten.
jacob

Bericht door jacob »

1 uitspraak van Bono vind ik tekenend.

Hij schrijft ergens dat de mensheid best in een algemene Godheid wenst te geloven. Maar dat de mensheid gaat stijgeren als je die Godheid concreet maakt in Jezus. De grootste weerstand krijg je als je zegt dat je ook nog eens geloofd dat Jezus al jouw verkeerd heden op zich neemt en ze vergeeft.

Hoewel dit misschien belachelijk klinkt geloof ik dat dit de waarheid is.

Het is vrij geciteerd, maar dekt wel de lading wat hij bedoelde.

Ik ben het met een hoop dingen van hem volstrekt oneens. Maar toch is deze belijdenis wel de kern van het Christelijk geloof. Namelijk het geloof in schuld en vergeving door Christus.

Ik wil mijn handen er niet aan branden.
olfie

Bericht door olfie »

jacob schreef: Ik wil mijn handen er niet aan branden.
Ik ook niet, maar als hij zulke dingen geroepen heeft, moet hij deze minstens herroepen. Zulke kreten als 'all true' roep je niet zomaar.
limosa

Bericht door limosa »

Bono is een succesvolle muzikant en U2 een succesvolle band. Maar christelijk is het van geen kant. Het is de wereld met een sausje van religie er bij.
rekcor

Bericht door rekcor »

limosa schreef:Bono is een succesvolle muzikant en U2 een succesvolle band. Maar christelijk is het van geen kant. Het is de wereld met een sausje van religie er bij.
Over mantra's gesproken...
olfie

Bericht door olfie »

limosa schreef:Bono is een succesvolle muzikant en U2 een succesvolle band. Maar christelijk is het van geen kant. Het is de wereld met een sausje van religie er bij.
Mee eens. Hij erkent het blijkbaar zelf, zie bijvoorbeeld ook de link COEXIST in de startpost.
Daar kun je niet omheen rekcor.
parsifal

Bericht door parsifal »

olfie schreef:
Mee eens. Hij erkent het blijkbaar zelf, zie bijvoorbeeld ook de link COEXIST in de startpost.
Daar kun je niet omheen rekcor.
Zoals ik al aangegeven heb, vermoed ik dat de punt in de door jou aangehaalde tekst op de verkeerde plaats staat.

Hier een deel van een interview:

Assayas: I think I am beginning to understand religion because I have started acting and thinking like a father. What do you make of that?

Bono: Yes, I think that's normal. It's a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma.

Assayas: I haven't heard you talk about that.

Bono: I really believe we've moved out of the realm of Karma into one of Grace.

Assayas: Well, that doesn't make it clearer for me.

Bono: You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.

Assayas: I'd be interested to hear that.

Bono: That's between me and God. But I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. I'd be in deep s---. It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity.

Assayas: The Son of God who takes away the sins of the world. I wish I could believe in that.

Bono: But I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says: Look, you cretins, there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness, and there's a mortality as part of your very sinful nature, and, let's face it, you're not living a very good life, are you? There are consequences to actions. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled… . It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of heaven.

Assayas: That's a great idea, no denying it. Such great hope is wonderful, even though it's close to lunacy, in my view. Christ has his rank among the world's great thinkers. But Son of God, isn't that farfetched?

Bono: No, it's not farfetched to me. Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says: No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: "I'm the Messiah." I'm saying: "I am God incarnate." And people say: No, no, please, just be a prophet. A prophet, we can take. You're a bit eccentric. We've had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey, we can handle that. But don't mention the "M" word! Because, you know, we're gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: No, no. I know you're expecting me to come back with an army, and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah. At this point, everyone starts staring at their shoes, and says: Oh, my God, he's gonna keep saying this. So what you're left with is: either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. I mean, we're talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we've been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had "King of the Jews" on his head, and, as they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I'm not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me, that's farfetched …

Bono later says it all comes down to how we regard Jesus:

Bono: … f only we could be a bit more like Him, the world would be transformed. …When I look at the Cross of Christ, what I see up there is all my s--- and everybody else's. So I ask myself a question a lot of people have asked: Who is this man? And was He who He said He was, or was He just a religious nut? And there it is, and that's the question. And no one can talk you into it or out of it.

From Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas, by Michka Assayas, copyright © 2005 by Michka Awwayas. Used by permission of Riverhead Books, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. For online information about other Penguin Group (USA) books and authors, see the website at http://www.penguin.com.

(Note: While the book includes numerous passages of Bono discussing his Christian faith, it also includes occasional salty language from both parties.)
Petrus

Bericht door Petrus »

memento schreef:Ik heb veel respect voor Bono als promotor van liefdadigheid. Hij zet zich enorm in voor 3e wereldlanden etc. Dit valt me erg van m tegen.

Waarom is het zich inzetten voor 3e wereldlanden iets om tegen te vallen???

Dat gaat even knapjes aan me voorbij...............is dat dan verkeerd of zo?? Of mis ik iets??
memento

Bericht door memento »

Petrus schreef:

Dat gaat even knapjes aan me voorbij...............is dat dan verkeerd of zo?? Of mis ik iets??
'Dit' slaat op Bono's uitleg van CoeXisT, niet over zn liefdadigheden...
jacob

Bericht door jacob »

Het blijft voor mij een zeer intrigerende man die Bono.

Wat hij hieronder in dat intervieu aanhaal vind ik verbazend. Ik alleen hier alleen al om niet met Limosa mee gaan.

Ik denk dat we onze handen moeten afhouden van mensen die zeggen dat hun Zaligmaker aan het kruis heeft gehangen voor de zijn of haar zonden.

Eigenlijk pakt Bono hier de 3 spraak van Ellende Verlossing en Danbaarheid in zijn taalgebruik op.

Dit blijft me enorm verbazen. Nogmaals, ben vroeger ook bij hun concerten geweest. Het staat mijlen ver van onze christelijke traditie af. En ik denk ook soms mijlen ver van wat de bijbelse bedoeling is. Maar kaatst de bal ook niet onze richting op wat dat betreft?
Petrus

Bericht door Petrus »

memento schreef:
Petrus schreef:

'Dit' slaat op Bono's uitleg van CoeXisT, niet over zn liefdadigheden...
OK, maar de impact van het artikel een eindje terug ontgaat mij volledig, helaas..............
Marnix

Bericht door Marnix »

Jaja, jou mening dat alle muziek waar een drumstel en gitaar in zit onchristelijk is kennen we nou wel...
Do not waste time bothering whether you ‘love’ your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him."
Plaats reactie