Jeremias Bastingius

Plaats reactie
Flynn

Jeremias Bastingius

Bericht door Flynn »

Hey all,

Ive just finished reading Bastingius' exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism. Its not been easy finding Biographies of his life online.

What's his status in the Dutch Reformed tradition? Is he will known? well received? His work clearly reflects the theology of the Heidelbergers, like Paraeus, Ursinus, and Kimedoncius, rather than the later more intense Protestant Scholastic Orthodoxy.

Does anyone know of other classic authors of this period that would be good to read and research? Keep in mind I can only access English translations. But any suggested names would be good.

Thanks,
David
Zonderling

Re: Jeremias Bastingius

Bericht door Zonderling »

David,

Jeremias Bastingius wrote the first exposition of the Heidelberg Catechism in the Netherlands on request of a Dutch reformed synod.
In the Netherlands the works of a lot of 17th and 18th century preachers are generally more well known than the early Dutch reformers and preachers of the 16th century. Also Bastingius is not very well known anymore and his work is not much read today (his work is reprinted more than 100 years ago and only available in the old Dutch language).
If you are studying Dutch reformed tradition of the 16th century I think that Jean Taffin is a very important representative, but I don't know if there are translations of his works in English.

Z.
Flynn

Re: Jeremias Bastingius

Bericht door Flynn »

Zonderling schreef: If you are studying Dutch reformed tradition of the 16th century I think that Jean Taffin is a very important representative, but I don't know if there are translations of his works in English.
Z.
Hey there Zonderling,

Thanks for that.

I had forgotten about Taffin. Ive read his Marks and I have read some of his Amendment. There were early English translations which I have. His Marks was recently reprinted.

One thing I am interested in doing is comparing DeWitte's commentary on the HC with Bastingius' exposition.

A lot of this early stuff was translated into English in the 16th and 17th centuries.

If you think of any other classic names from that period please do let me know.

Do you know anything about Vitringa and Venema from the 18thC? Ive read vol 1 of Venema--and enjoyed it. However only the first volume was ever translated into English in the 19thC. Venema refers to Vitringa and it looks interesting.

Thanks again,
David
Plaats reactie