John Calvin

Plaats reactie
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

John Calvin

Bericht door Bert Mulder »

*Excerpted, by permission, from Sermons on Galatians, Old Paths Publications, 1 Bittersweet Path, Willow Street, PA 17584. Although John Calvin did not give titles to his sermons, we suggest that this, indeed, was his 'theme' of this part of "The Thirtieth Sermon . . . ."

"Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free."

Read the whole article here:

http://sb.rfpa.org/index.cfm?mode=narro ... t_search=0

But yet for all this, behold, Saint Paul saith, that they which have the primacy, and are all in all, and are dreaded of every man, and finally which bear the title of first begotten, are oftentimes but Ishmaelites, so as they be but bastards, allege they their eldership never so much. But if Saint Paul were alive at this day, that one text of his were enough to make him to be burnt a hundred times. For let men write and speak as much as they list [please, wish], and they cannot more lively decipher or bewray [reveal] that the Pope and all his clergy are a heap of Ishmaelites and filthy bastards which fight against God and all his true and right begotten children, according also as Moses hath reported it. For what else allege the Papists for themselves, save that it is not a day or twain ago, or a hundred years ago, that they have had possession, but that they have kept their traditions and Ceremonies these eight or nine hundred years? But surely even in this behalf also they lie, and are past shame.... [The] eldership of theirs which they allege is not better nor of greater value than was the eldership of Ishmael.
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

Re: John Calvin

(Calvin comments on I Tim. 2:4): "The other texts adduced are not declarative of the Lord's determination respecting all men in his secret counsel: they only proclaim that pardon is ready for all sinners who sincerely seek it (Ps.145:9). For if they obstinately insist on its being said that God is merciful to all, I will oppose to them, what is elsewhere asserted, that 'our God is in the heavens; he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased' (Ps. 115:3). This text, then, must be explained in a manner consistent with another, where God says, 'I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will show mercy on whom I will show mercy' (Ex. 33:19). He who makes a selection of objects for the exercise of his mercy, does not import that mercy to all. But as it clearly appears that Paul is there speaking, not of individuals, but orders of men, I shall forbear any further argument...."

(Calvin's Institutes, Book III, Chap. 24, XVI)
Mijn enige troost is, dat ik niet mijn, maar Jezus Christus eigen ben, Die voor mijn zonden betaald heeft, en zo bewaart, dat alles tot mijn zaligheid dienen moet; waarom Hij mij ook door Zijn Heilige Geest van eeuwig leven verzekert, en Hem voortaan te leven van harte willig en bereid maakt.
refo

Bericht door refo »

John Calvin called this the horrible decree.
Hoeksema called it just a decree.
As if he knows how God thinks.
Bert Mulder
Contacteer:

refo schreef:John Calvin called this the horrible decree.
Hoeksema called it just a decree.
As if he knows how God thinks.
You are saying this in WHAT connection?
Plaats reactie