Benedictus Aretius on God as a Lover of Mankind

Plaats reactie
Flynn

Benedictus Aretius on God as a Lover of Mankind

Bericht door Flynn »

I recently finished reading a work by Aretius and found this. I thought it might be interesting.

Bendictus Aretius:

To discourse modestly of God and matters relating to him, is no small part of Religion. For sin the Nature of God is incomprehensible, his Power infinite, and his Name inexpressible, no thought can comprehend his infinite Power, no Eye approach so glorious a Light, no Tongue can declare it: and for this reason the more sound Philosophers have been very sparing in their discourses upon this Subject. Plato is commended for his Modesty in this case, who, tho he is not afraid to style God, “The Creator of the World, a Lover of Mankind, and the provident Curator of all things, (forasmuch as he is a most Wise Being, and does not flight and despise the Work of his own Wisdom); yet notwithstanding all this confesses, “That the Eyes of Men are too weak, to see through Matters of Divinity.”

Benedictus Aretius, A Short History of Valentinus Gentilis the Tritheist… Wrote in Latin, by Benedictus Aretius, a Divine of that Church; and now Translated into English for the use of Dr. Sherlock, (London, Printed, and Sold by E. Whitlock, near Stationers-Hall, 1696), The Epistle Dedicatory, 7.

David
memento

Re: Benedictus Aretius on God as a Lover of Mankind

Bericht door memento »

What's so interesting about that, David? I guess nobody here will deny that the description of God, given by Aretius, is a very orthodox one...
Flynn

Re: Benedictus Aretius on God as a Lover of Mankind

Bericht door Flynn »

Hey Momento,

Long time no see. I hope you are doing well.
memento schreef:What's so interesting about that, David? I guess nobody here will deny that the description of God, given by Aretius, is a very orthodox one...
I totally agree. There is nothing but this work in English by Aretius. The actually subject of this work is not that pleasant in other respects as its a defence of the execution of a tritheist.

I also liked the way Aretius cited Plato there as well. These early Reformed were much more in the flow of Early and Medieval Church history, as well as Classical literature.

Thanks and have a good day,
David
Plaats reactie